Sunday, September 6, 2009

Coconut Macaroons







We love coconut macaroons, but they are always so expensive when you by them at the bakery, especially the gourmet type.

I wanted to make some macaroons from a whole coconut that I bought at Whole Foods and brought up north. I was going to grate it so that I could say I really made these from scratch. I started to grate it but it just was NOT going to work.

Off to Olseon's for coconut, (shredded and sweetened), and sweetened and condensed milk, which I needed to make the cookies anyway. I also picked up some bittersweet chocolate chips.

Fast Facts
Created in Glasgow, Scotland
Soft, sweet cookie
Sometimes dipped in chocolate
Variations: Dried fruit, chocolate chips or nuts

Here is the recipe, easy and tasty.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Ingredients:
2/3 Cup of sweetened and condensed milk
1 1/2 t of vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1/8 t of salt
3 1/2 cups of shredded coconut

Mix the first four ingredients then fold in the coconut until thoroughly mixed.
Place 1 large T of the mix on a baking sheet, sprayed with non-stick spray or lined with parchment paper.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until slightly browned then remove from oven. Then place cookies on a rack to rack to cool completely.

You can also add some chocolate chips to the mix, we did to half the batch, for chocolate, coconut macaroons, delish! Nuts, dried cherries or other goodies in any combination would make them great too.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment