Monday, February 23, 2009

Chop Suey II


Made my second recipe from the Boston Cooking School Cookbook by Fannie Merritt Farmer. It was as good as the creamed chicken I made earlier, which my wife and I had for lunch today, it reheated very well, even with the cream in the sauce.

The Chop Suey recipe is chicken and vegetables basically, and stir fried before the term became fashionable. This dish went together very easily and again made enough for leftovers. It looked and tasted excellent, on par with better Chinese Restaurant Chop Suey, and far superior to most.

The back of this book is interesting too. In addition to substitutions, they offer equivalents, weights and measures and capacity of canned containers, basic but always helpful, even if you are experienced. I learned that a "few grains" is less than 1/8th of a teaspoon!

They also have a list of advertisers in the back of the book, many are still around, Baker's Chocolate, Gold Medal Flour, Kellogg's and Gulden's Mustard to name but a few that I still use in my cooking. The ads are a page out of history as well, again a nice glimpse of the 1930's & 40's.

Next on the agenda Baked Pork Tenderloins, which I was defrosting anyway, these will be split and stuffed. I'll report back on tasting sounding dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment